Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Review: Phoenix Island by John Dixon

A champion boxer with a sharp hook and a short temper, sixteen-year-old Carl Freeman has been shuffled from foster home to foster home. He can't seem to stay out of trouble, using his fists to defend weaker classmates from bullies. His latest incident sends his opponent to the emergency room, and now the court is sending Carl to the worst place on earth: Phoenix Island. 



Phoenix Island by John Dixon is another Stoker finalist and one I devoured over two days. 

When Mark Twain was asked how he approached character development, he said, “Chase 'em up a tree and throw rocks at 'em." John Dixon must have written this book in a quarry. The MC, Carl, had so many rocks thrown at him I was exhausted by the end! The writing is excellent, easy, and many times made me forget I'm a writer (Dang that internal editor!). 

This book was definitely a five-star for me. I can't wait for the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment